A legacy letter is not a formal legal document, but it can be very helpful to your beneficiaries in understanding your wishes and providing guidance to their future decisions about the land. Some things you may consider including in your letter are:
· the history of the land, including the story of how you came to own it
· the ecological, historical, or cultural value of the land
· favorite memories of the land
· aspects of the land you enjoy most
· work you have accomplished on the land
· your hopes for what will happen to the land
Don’t worry if you’re not a good writer—this isn’t an English paper! The goal of the letter is to pass your legacy on to your beneficiaries in your own words.